Current and recent projects
Through FiBS (www.fibs.eu
) I am involved in an UNESCO-YEM study on the degree of integration of Digital Skills and Entrepreneurial Skills in TVET curricula in MENA countries.
Recently, I have produced, together with Dominic Orr, and under editorship if Fengchun Miao and Sanjaya Mishra an OER Policy Guide, a manual for the formulation and implementation of innovative policy by governments and institutions aimed at the use of 'Open Educational Resources' and related ICT facilities, on behalf of UNESCO. This guide is recently published.
Together with Fred Mulder and Dominic Orr, I have produced a technical manual for UNESCO for (government) monitoring of the effects of the use of OER and related ICT facilities in education (at all levels).
Together with Robert Schuwer (Fontys), I conducted an international study into the use of OER in Technical Vocational Education & Training (TVET), the first international study in this field. Finally, with Robert Schuwer I conducted two surveys into the adoption of OER in higher education institutions in the Netherlands. SURF and the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science were co-principals (see the list of publications).
Education and work experience
My formal education is in urban and regional planning, graduated at Radboud University Nijmegen. I have worked as assistant professor in urban and regional infrastructure planning at the University of Technology Eindhoven, as researcher/consultant at the Dutch Research Institute TNO, and as senior consultant at NEA Transport research and Training (Tilburg/Rijswijk). Activities carried out covered economic and regional research, research, consultancy and training projects in transport, logistics and infrastructure, nationally and internationally.
Until joining the OUNL 2002 I was director of the NEA Transport University, an independent university for professional education providing web-based bachelor courses in logistics, freight and passenger transport. At OUNL I was member of the central management team of the OUNL, senior advisor to the Executive Board of the OUNL, initiator and program manager of the Dutch “Open Networked Polytechnic” (ONP) and secretary to the National Initiative Long Live Learning.
In my positions at OUNL and NEA and TNO (see my extended cv), I dealt with setting up and evaluating innovation projects. For example, I was involved in the Open Educational Resources (OER) projects of the OUNL from the outset and participated in major EU research projects that focus on innovations in higher education, particularly OER and Open Education.
On behalf of SURF, I supervised workshops at 17 Dutch higher education institutions on 'what are OER and what can they mean for a higher education institution as an innovation'. For NESTRA I was involved in a NUFFIC-NICHE (Netherlands Initiative for Capacity development in Higher Education) project for ITB (Institut Teknologi Bandung, University of Technology Bandung, Indonesia) in which he did the evaluation of the current program and proposed a new and innovative curriculumfor a BSC in Logistics Engineering
Professional and work Experience
2013 – to date: OpenEd Consult
- Monitoring and evaluation study of a four-year acceleration plan for educational innovation with ICT. Project commissioned by the Dutch associations of science-based univetsioties, universzities of appalied sciences, SURF and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) and assigned to ResearchNed, Nijmegen, The Netherlands (2016 – 2021) (current)
- Higher Education Expert in the Project ‘Monitoring and Evaluation of Flexible Lifelong Learning pilot projects of Dutch public and private Higher Education Institutions (Universities of Applied Sciences. Project commissioned by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science (OCW) and assigned to ResearchNed, Nijmegen, The Netherlands (2016 – 2021) (current)
- Co-author, together with Dominic Orr, of ‘OER Policy Guide’, a manual for the formulation and implementation of innovative policy by governments and institutions aimed at the use of 'Open Educational Resources' and related ICT facilities, on behalf of UNESCO. This guide will be published in the course of 2019.
- Study into the specific role of Open Educational resources (OER) and Open Education in Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET), in order to provide UNESCO, in particular UNEVOC, with recommendations to support the creation and use of OER in TVET. In collaboration with Professor Robert Schuwer, UNESCO Chair on OER and their Adoption by Teachers, Learners and Institutions Fontys University of Applied Sciences, Eindhoven. Study commissioned by UNESCO-UNEVOC, Bonn, (2017-2018).
- Research into the Adoption of Open Educational Resources and Open Education in Public Higher Education in The Netherlands, in collaboration with Professor Robert Schuwer, UNESCO Chair on OER and their Adoption by Teachers, Learners and Institutions Fontys University of Applied Sciences, Eindhoven, The Netherlands. (2014 - 2017)
- Advisory and research activities with regard to Open Educational Resources (OER) and Open Education for Professor Robert Schuwer, UNESCO Chair on OER and their Adoption by Teachers, Learners and Institutions Fontys University of Applied Sciences, Eindhoven (2014 - 2017)
- Consultant/advisor/external evaluator BSc Logistics Engineering. Development of Bachelor program in Logistics Engineering, ITB, Bandung, Indonesia. NUFFIC-NICHE project, for STC-NESTRA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands (2014 – 2017)
- Formulation and Implementation of a new business strategy and concomitant business model for a post-graduate professional education & training institute, OSR Juridische Opleidingen, Utrecht, The Netherlands (2014 – 2016)
- Advisory activities with regard to new business strategies and concomitant business models for NGO’s in the domain of sustainable tourism (2016)
- Design and development of organisational structures for quality assurance in education and training
- Advisory and management activities with regard to Open Courseware (OCW), Open Educational Resources (OER) and Open Education
2002 – 2015: Open University in The Netherlands (OUNL)
- Principal moderator of Strategy Workshops on Open and Online Learning by SURF (conducted at 16 Dutch universities, research based and applied sciences) (2012 – 2015)
- Senior consultant / expert with a special focus on Open Educational Resources and Business Models in Higher Education (2007 – 2015)
- Open Educational Resources: project development and management, nationally and internationally (2007 – 2015)
- Senior advisor to the Executive Board of Open Universiteit with regard to lifelong learning (2005 – 2015)
- Secretary to the Dutch National Initiative for Lifelong Learning – a cooperation between 4 Dutch state-induced national educational organisations (SURF, NTR, Kennisnet and OUNL)
- General Manager of the Dutch Network of Open Polytechnics: a network op Dutch public Universities in Applied Sciences education and the Open University in The Netherlands (Netwerk Open Hogeschool) (2007 – 2015)
- Design, development and implementation of flexible and open education and training programmes, courses and materials in the domains of Business Administration and Computer Science (bachelor levels). Dutch Network of Open Polytechnics: a network op Dutch public Universities in Applied Sciences education and the Open University in The Netherlands (Netwerk Open Hogeschool) (2007-2015)
- Managing Director of the Department of Business Development of the Open Universiteit
- Member of the Managerial Board of the Open Universiteit
- Managing Director/Statutory director of the Open Universiteit Bedrijfsopleidingen (OUB) B.V, a profit oriented 100% subsidiary of the Open Universiteit
- Managing Director/Statutory director of The Learning Experience B.V, a profit oriented 100% subsidiary of Open Universiteit
1996 - 2002 NEA University of Professional Education in Transport and Logistics (NTH)
- Project manager, and later Director and Chairman of the Executive Board of NEA Transport Hogeschool (NTH), a private university for professional education (UPE) with state recognised bachelor courses in the fields of transport, traffic management and supply chain management
- Responsible for financial, organisational and personnel management of NEA Transport Hogeschool (NTH)
- Design and development of education and training programmes, courses and materials in transport, logistics and traffic management
- Curriculum design for higher education
- Quality control and accreditation
- Acquisition and implementation of in-house training contracts and international training projects.